LATEST NEWS

Have a read of our blogs about the latest MeKo news and other news about our industry.


Water is an efficient carrier of electricity but, as I’m sure you know, if the two mix the results can be lethal.

The bathroom is therefore known as the most dangerous room in the house with regards to electrical safety. There is also the added peril that skin wet from the shower, bath or basin reduces a body’s resistance, making an electrical shock all the more likely.

Here is our advice to help you stay safe in the bathroom:

Electrical sockets are not allowed to be in a bathroom or shower room unless they are at least three metres from the bath or shower. Electric shaver points must be a safe distance from a bath or shower to avoid splashing.
• All light fittings that are not enclosed should be out of reach of someone using, or still wet from using, a bath or shower. Ordinary wall switches are a danger due to wet hands and general dampness. A ceiling-mounted pull cord is the best option.
• Central heating is the best method of heating a bathroom or shower room. Any electric heater must be fitted at a safe distance from the bath or shower. Ideally they should be controlled by a switch or pull cord located outside the room.
• An electric shower should be powered by its own circuit directly from the fuse box.
• Mains powered portable appliances such as hairdryers, heaters or radios should not be taken into a bathroom or shower room.

Be safe in your bathroom.